Friday, August 15, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again


I bought my bike back in 2001. I hooked up with a pretty active riding group right from the start. Webb, Shipley, Fox, Erin and Babbs, just to name a few. Needless to say I rode a lot. Some riding seasons as much as 5000 miles! That's pretty good considering the short Western NY summers, and it makes for a happy Basegasket too!
Moving to East Tennessee brought many changes for our family as I have told you here in past blog entries. All the changes have been positive and good for all of us. Well, almost all.
Leaving behind my biker gang has found my hog sitting in my E. Tennessee garage collecting dust with half the air in the tires... pitiful! Something had to be done. Hmmm... Road trip anyone?
My WNY/riding buddy Webb, brings his son to the NASA Space Camp each summer down in Huntsville. This year he trailered his bike down and we had a chance to ride a bit.
A high pressure system settled in last week and hung around for the weekend making the weather absolutely awesome. The desire to leave early Saturday morning fell by the wayside (just got lazy) and we rolled out of the Gulfwood Subdivision about 10.
North toward the Cumberland Gap and the tunnel on Route 25. We climbed to the top of Pinnacle Point for some photos.

One foot in VA one foot in KY
A small jaunt across VA Route 58 to Jonesville and then south along the Trail of the Lonesome Pine across Tennessee, continuing south to Asheville for the night. After a good nights sleep we headed west thru Maggie Valley, Bryson City and Robbinsville along the south side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. After a fill-up we climbed up to 5200 ft along the Cherohala Skyway. Fifty-one miles of great scenery and twisties. Heading north toward Knoxville brought our trip to an end clocking 465 miles for the weekend.
The Academy has been very exhausting to say the least. With all the material we covered in the EMS training, the physical exercise and running, and now the fire training, I have been physically and mentally taxed. With that said, as I was rolling down NC state Route 19 I really felt the medicinal qualities of the journey heal my body and my soul. Our weekend ride was long overdue, sorely missed, and a nice change from my recent dysphoric condition.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment.


7 comments:

Tennessee Jed said...

Live to Ride and Ride to Live, rubber side down my Fire Fighting friend!

I myself am putting down about 1000 miles of two wheeled tracks a month, just scooting around town. I am looking for a way to mount a shotgun rack on her, for them cell phone chatting unobservant drivers...just kidding.

Julie said...

What a trip, how awesome...I'm so envious... love the pictures...You can't beat the Cherahola (sp) for riding.. i have friends who live on mile marker number nine,, makes me want to ride again! Tony keeps wanting a bike,,,He can certainly get one.. me riding w/ him is another thing.. we might be riding w/ you one day when I get over my friend being in the trauma unit for all those months...You and your lady and Jed and his lady and tony and I should all get together one day anyways!

Basegasket said...

That would be too much fun. Lets do it!

Anonymous said...

Hey John! I had a blast! Remember though that this was two years in a row that I had the HOG down at your place! 2007 we rode the Dragon, remember?

I am looking forward to next year too! Start planning our August trip!

Basegasket said...

I remember our trip to the dragon last year, I remember that you snored too. LOL! I got the us129 sticker on my helmet to remind me. I'll be planning our ride this winter. Lots of twisties!!

Anonymous said...

Must have been those 138 miles I did before 9 am to meet you in Cleveland, TN! Sorry about that! This next summer I will have Monday-Thursday, maybe a little bit of Sunday too!

Anonymous said...

You are my best friend and I really miss ya!