Monday, July 21, 2008

Evaluation Time- Week 5


Wikipedia says to "evaluate" is "to display the systematic determination of merit, worth, and significance of something or someone". For the recruits of the Knoxville Fire Department we get to experience that event every month of our 6 month tour.

We were instructed to meet with our preselected evaluator right after our afternoon clean-up duties. As I waited in the hall, I could not recall ever being evaluated in my work career. Being self-employed for almost 25 years, evaluation was simple for me. If my customers didn't like how I performed for them, they would show their disapproval by not paying me (thankfully, that happened rarely). No meeting, no forms no anxious waiting in the hall...

I entered Captain Householder's lair, and as I sat amidst the darkness, I felt a bit hypnotized by the cool green and red flashing lights and diodes of his collection of electronic geegaw. As he spoke, I felt a note of comradery along with his professionalism. I was hoping for the highest score a recruit had every received considering the effort I feel I have been putting forth. Actually the group as a whole has the determination of salmon swimming up stream. Its amazing to watch such a steadfast bunch.

He shared some tutelage about the events of the past four weeks, and for the next few minutes I listened to a veteran public servant as he evaluated my performance. This was hard for him because of the short time we have been in the academy. Nevertheless, he was able to convey the necessary points of importance and was even able to bring a smile to my face.

So how did I fare? "????" across the board! (personal information between me and the Cap) This is good and it leaves plenty of room to grow.
A comment box at the bottom of each evaluatory section left the "Good Captain" a place to add his own comments, this is what one line read;

"Recruit Stoehr's enthusiasm is refreshing..."

I like it!

4 comments:

Tennessee Jed said...

Good work Basegasket! You make us proud!

Tony said...

Good entry man! Enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Recruit Stoehr...that sounds a bit odd since I know how accomplished you are, but I guess it's only for a season...

docd4u said...

Your blogs are great fun to read.