Wednesday, May 14, 2008

She Drives Alone...


I clearly remember the day I first drove to school...alone. I had earned my driver's license earlier that week and my Mom allowed me to take our Chevy van to school. I was in heaven; I felt I had cornered the market on being cool that day.
This week that winsome event occurred once again. This time to my 16 year old girl. She had been waiting for this day for several months. As the end of the school year approached, I'm sure she thought it would not happen, at least not before they were out for summer vacation. On the eve of the last day of classes I agreed to give Mom a ride to work, leaving the 325i in the driveway for anyone who might want to drive it...to school or someplace like that.
It was an eventless trip for her, (eventless is good...very good). I would expect that from her. She is a very good driver. I have coached her from the right seat the best I could and she sat through a semester of Drivers Ed, so she has a good foundation to work from. All that said, it still scares me when she's out there alone.
This brings to conclusion yet another event; a step toward the inevitable separation of a child from the nest. It started somewhere around her first steps, then it was off to school, the graduation from middle school, along with the teenage birthday. "HEY!! Kids grow up and get a life of their own. Get a grip John!" I guess I'm alright with it, but it does tend to leave a small hole in my chest.

1 comment:

Tennessee Jed said...

My daughter Camry drove herself to school on her birthday after stopping off to get her license first, it was the 14th of May too.

I am well past the whole nest leaving thing, because she was taken from me when she was seven via divorce from a selfish cu#t...damn her soulless carcass.